<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

The future is almost here for Canadian hockey fans 

The Heritage Classic in Edmonton last fall was a huge event for the NHL. The record crowd. The alumni game with Gretzky. Playing outdoors. All things that made the event significant. But for me there was one thing that had me more excited then any other.

The first HDTV NHL broadcast by a Canadian station.

I purchased an HDTV set early last year. Very shortly after I signed up with Rogers for their HD bundle. Since then I've seen football, golf, baseball, basketball and hockey in HD. Unfortunately, my HD hockey experience was limited to a couple games in the Stanley Cup finals. But those games convinced me that there isn't a sport that has its broadcast experience improved more by HD then hockey.

CBC's foray in HD hockey with the Heritage Classic was just a tease. Since that event they've unveiled no plans to follow up their efforts.

Another hope for HD hockey occurred last fall when both TSN and Rogers Sportsnet started HD versions of their stations. However, they've neglected to add hockey into the HD lineup. Until this Thursday.

Starting this Thursday and for every Thursday for the rest of January, TSN HD will be simulcasting ESPN's NHL game broadcast in HD. Their schedule follows:

Jan 15 NHL: Dallas @ Colorado 9:00 p.m. et
Jan 22 NHL: Philadelphia @ NY Rangers 7:30 p.m. et
Jan 29 NHL: NY Islanders @ Boston 7:30 p.m. et


My only regret? The broadcasts conflict with the Senator games, not broadcast in HD, that I'll be watching instead.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?