<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

A brave new NHL 

By now every hockey fan worth their salt has heard about the changes to the NHL rulebook for the next season, whenever it may be. The only rule change that I hate is the proposed 3 point for a win system that is being trialed in the AHL next year. I'm glad it will only be in the AHL and I hope it doesn't go any further then that.

As for the other changes, the one that has caused the most controversy is the changes to goalies - where they can play the puck and what they can wear on their legs. The smaller pads will inevitably lead to more goals. Although some people think that more goals isn't the solution the game - it is more scoring chances. But more goals can lead to more scoring chances because if it becomes harder to keep the puck out of the net, it becomes harder to protect a one goal lead. That means that teams will need to keep applying offensive pressure because a one goal lead will be a lot less of a guarantee then it used to be. Teams will be able to come back from bigger leads if goals can be scored more easily. The smaller pads are going to make it a lot easier to score on the goalies and the new puck playing restrictions on the goalies will make forechecking a more viable strategy.

I'm not someone who's been beating the drums for a more exciting game. But I'm a Senator fan and my team is one of the most exciting in the league. I might feel differently if I were cheering for a less talented team.

But if they can make the game more exciting I'm fine with it, I'm okay with the changes. Just leave the untraditional three point wins in the AHL, please.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?